Dr. King is unique because he uses specialized testing to get to the root cause of your health condition. During the last 10 years, Dr. King has specialized in working with autoimmune patients who have struggled managing their health condition. Many of these patients were not told the cause of their symptoms, only being told, “Take this medicine and let’s check your blood work in 3-6 months”.
Dr. King became known as the thyroid doctor in Southern California, as he saw and helped thousands of Hashimoto’s Disease, Hypothyroid, and Hyperthyroid/Grave’s Disease patients. Even Dr. King’s father has Hashimoto’s Disease, along with his mother-in-law and sister-in-law.
Dr. King decided, after 10-years of having a clinic, he wanted to reach more patients, outside of his immediate Orange County area. Dr. King was already working and coaching patients domestically and all throughout the world. He took a huge leap of faith and decided to relocate to Austin, TX (to be closer to family, so he and his wife could start their own family) and work with patients from the comfort of their own home.
Dr. King had several patients over the years that couldn’t physically see him in his clinic (they were outside of the state/country), so he began using Skype calls/phone calls and email to help guide them in the right direction.
At first, Dr. King was hesitant, thinking patients would be fearful of this type of care, but he soon realized that patients LOVED it! They didn’t have to wait for months to see their primary care doctors, their endocrinologists, and other specialists. Patients didn’t have to wait in a lobby for 30-60 minutes after their appointment time (Dr. King recently walked out of an orthopedic surgeons office for this exact reason). Patients loved the one-on-one interaction they received by Dr. King, even though it was all through remote communication.
Besides being known as a thyroid disease specialist, Dr. King has been helping those who suffer from other conditions, such as, but not limited to:
- Diabetes (Type I, II and III – also known as Alzheimer’s Disease)
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Adrenal Gland Dysfunction
- Liver Disease
- Hormone deficiencies
- Leaky Gut Syndrome/Intestinal Permeability/Irritable Bowel Syndrome
How does Dr. King help patients? He does so by running complete, thorough and in-depth blood testing, genetic testing, food allergy panels, adrenal testing, and even hair analysis.
Part of the problem that Dr. King sees, day in and day out, is that doctors in the medical model are limited to what laboratory tests they can run. Insurance companies will not run in-depth blood testing, (specialized testing) because the results wont change the doctors treatment plan…to prescribe medication.
The medical model is wonderful for acute conditions (i.e. heart attacks, strokes and broken bones), but the acute model of health care does NOT apply to chronic health conditions. This is where specialized laboratory testing comes into play. The following are some of the lab tests Dr. King uses (not all of them on every patient, as each patient is unique):
- A complete thyroid panel with TBG and TPO antibodies.If your doctor is running your thyroid markers, make sure there are a total of 10 thyroid markers that are being run. If you can’t count 10 markers, your doctor is missing some of the pieces to your health puzzle.
- A complete metabolic panel (CMP).There are a total of 25 different types of anemia. One common trait Dr. King sees in a lot of patients’ blood tests is a lack of anemia markers being run. If you have an anemia, and can’t deliver oxygen and nutrients to your cells, your body can’t heal. This is why a complete metabolic panel is needed, so Dr. King can see more pieces to your health puzzle.
- A lipid panel:Besides looking at cholesterol, Dr. King can get a very good idea of how your liver is functioning based off of your cholesterol markers. Some patients may be going into early Diabetes, and they don’t even know it. This, too, can be seen through the blood tests
- A CBC (complete blood chemistry with differential) panel:In chronic patients, a lot of them are fighting hidden infections. Whether these infections are bacterial, parasitic, or viral in nature, they will all weaken the immune system and prevent the body from healing.
- Inflammatory markers:These markers consist of your heart markers (CRP-HS, Homocysteine), along with other inflammatory markers (HbA1c, Cholesterol Ratio, homocysteine, and CRP-Hs). If your body is inflamed, Dr. King needs to know how bad, and he will want to check these markers again as your body is healing.
- Vitamin D:Many, many, many patients suffer from low Vitamin D levels. Vitamin D is extremely important as it is needed to support your immune system, to lower inflammation, and to support hormones (male/female and thyroid).
Dr. King tests 67 different markers when running your first blood panel. If more specific testing is needed, this preliminary blood test will help Dr. King in deciding what needs to be looked at next. The following are some of the specialized tests that may be ordered if deemed necessary:
- Genetic Testing: http://www.23andme.com is a fantastic laboratory that will give Dr. King in-depth information relating to your genes. Some patients have genetic deficiencies that will prevent their body from healing, regardless of the healthy lifestyle they are living.
- A comprehensive GI (gastro-intestinal) dysbiosis lab test.This GI panel will assess how well your body is releasing digestive enzymes, hydrochloric acid (HCL), breaking down and absorbing fats, and if you have any type of hidden infections that are not normally seen in basic blood tests.
- Adrenal Panel:If you are not sleeping well, or waking up not feeling rested, you may have an adrenal dysfunction. An Adrenal Salivary Index test will measure your cortisol levels throughout the day.
- Leaky Gut Syndrome (LGS)/Intestinal Permeability (IP) testing. http://www.cyrexlabs.com is Dr. King’s favorite laboratory to use for testing LGS/IP. Dr. King grew up with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and LGS as a child. He knows how debilitating those conditions are, which is why it is important to diagnose you properly.